- This event has passed.
NERDIC Industry 4.0 Readiness Ecosystem: Benchmarking 3D Printed Parts Manufactured with the Desktop Metal Studio System for Defense Supply – How can installation, maintenance, upgrades and operator training variables affect quality control?
May 18, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
This introductory workshop is part of the NERDIC Industry 4.0 Readiness Ecosystem program for the New England defense supply chain. For more information, please visit ccat.us/NERDIC.
Learn about what to expect when installing a Desktop Metal System; Overview of install & operations experience, facility, safety & training requirements, vendor support; How the BIC, CCAT and UMaine benchmarked these systems; How to access benchmark files and data; Description of DM case studies underway at BIC; How to access BIC’s facility for training, application development and project collaboration.
Workshop participants will be invited to apply to participate in a pilot demonstration project utilizing this technology.
This session will be recorded and made available on-demand.
Learn how Desktop Metal Studio System can be used in defense manufacturing:
• How to prepare your facility, permitting requirements, facility certification options
• OSHA training and safety requirements, compared with LPBF, DMLS, LENS and Binder Jetting
• Advantages / disadvantages of printing with bound metal powder compared with LPBF
• Outline applications for DM metal prototypes, fixtures, molds and end use parts
• Review of the design process for benchmarking, developed with CCAT and UMaine – Can the NIST AM Test Artifact be used in FDM metal printing or is a new standard needed?
• Comparison of benchmark results with other 3D printing processes available at CCAT, BIC and UMaine (including LPBF, Binder Jetting, large format polymer FDM and DMLS)
• Can Fused Deposition Modeled Sintered metal parts meet Mil-spec end use requirements?
Steven Longpre, CEO BSS Additive, Operations Manager Berkshire Innovation Center
Jean Mozolic, Founder, The Mozolic Group
Mark Rowan, Principal, Roundabout Consulting
A Technology Demonstration follows this workshop and is scheduled for:
Tuesday, August 17, 2021 @ 12:00 – 1:30 PM EST (1.5 hours) | Register or view the webinar recording →
This event page was prepared under contract with the State of Vermont, as fiscal agent for the New England Regional Defense Industry Collaboration, with financial support from the Office of Local Defense Community Cooperation, U.S. Department of Defense. The content reflects the views of the New England Regional Defense Collaboration and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Office of Local Defense Community Cooperation, the U.S. Department of Defense, or the participating states.